Love making your own jams and chutneys? Check out our step-by-step guide that teaches you how to store your homemade jams in a hygienic way.
Fruit jams and preserves should be placed in sterilized glass jars and sealed while still hot. Your glass canning jars must be free of chips or cracks. They need to be sterilized and dried with clean hands before use. Hygiene is important, so use a clean tea towel when holding or moving the glass jars.
1. Before you start sterilizing the glass jam jars, remember to remove the lids and rubber seals so they don’t get deformed by the heat.
2. In every method of sterilizing glass jars, pay special attention to the heat so as not to burn yourself.
The way to sterilize jars
1. Sterilize fruit jam jars in the dishwasher
The easiest way to sanitize jam jars is to put them in the dishwasher.
1) Place your jars on the top shelf of the dishwasher.
2) Turn on the dishwasher with hot water without detergent.
3) Once the cycle is over, your jar is ready to be filled – so try to schedule your recipes to fit into the package.
2. Sterilizing jars in ovens
If you don’t have a dishwasher on hand and you still don’t know how to sterilize jam jars, try the oven.
1) Wash the jars with hot soapy water and rinse.
2) Next, place them on a baking sheet and put them in a preheated oven at 140-180°C.
3) Fill the jar immediately, being careful not to get burned by the hot glass.
3. Sterilizing glass jars in a water bath
1) Remove the lid and seal as before, and place the jars in a large pot.
2) Place the pan on a hob and slowly raise the temperature until it comes to a boil.
3) Never place jars in water that is already boiling, as this can cause them to explode and spray dangerous shattered glass in all directions.
4) Keep the water boiling for up to 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and cover the pot with a lid.
5) The jars can stay in the water until you are ready to fill them.
4. Sterilize glass jam jars in the microwave
While the methods used above are very effective, they can be time-consuming (although this shouldn’t be a hindrance to sanitation). If you’re looking for a faster method, sterilizing jam jars in the microwave is a quick and easy way to do this.
1) Wash the jar with soapy water.
2) Place the jar in the microwave and turn it on “high” (about 1000 watts) for 30-45 seconds.
3) Pour onto a dish towel or absorbent kitchen paper to dry.
And now you have an easy-to-follow guide that teaches you how to sterilize glass jars to make hygienic and safe fruit jams!
XuzhouAnt Glass Products Co.,Ltd is a professional supplier in China’s glassware industry, we are mainly working on various kinds of glass bottles and glass jars . We are also able to offer decorating, screen printing ,spray painting and other deep-processing to fulfill “one-stop shop” services. Xuzhou Ant glass is a professional team which has the ability to customize glass packaging in accordance with customers’ requirements, and offer professional solutions for customers to raise their products value. Customer satisfaction, high quality products and convenient service are our company’s missions. We believe we are capable of assisting your business to grow up continuously together with us.
If you are interested in our products, please feel free to contact us: